Friday, March 26, 2010

A Little Bit Of Everything

When I remember my Grandma I think about a little bit of everything
A little bit of her kind heart, a little bit of her brave spirit, of her feisty sense of humor, a little bit of her warm smile, of her generous nature, and more than a little bit of her faith in God

Just like at family dinners, where she would always try a little bit of everything
She was always willing and open to finding the good in what she was given
You would never spend more than 5 minutes with her without seeing a smile on her face
She was not one for petty gossip or judgment, and always had good things to say about someone
She loved her family and her church and would take interest in anything you were willing to share
You could plan to visit for only a short time and end up spending hours at the house
Simply because she would ask about everything and would listen to every word
All while offering you anything but the kitchen sink (and maybe even that, if you asked nicely)
A fridge stocked with sodas and ice cream, an envelope full of coupons, duplex cookies in the brown tin, licorice bites from the cross-stitched jar, or pink thingies from the tupperware canister

You could always feel welcomed and accepted at Grandma and Grandpa's
They have given such a beautiful example of family and they are a shining light of hope for marriage
If the term "fighting like an old married couple" could be found in the dictionary
There would be a picture of my grandparents along with it
They bickered about what day who called or what grandpa ordered last time they were out
Of course this almost always came to the conclusion that grandma was right and grandpa was wrong
But just inside the bickering was an obvious deep love and respect for one another
A love that anyone who met them could tell would last forever
I thank God that I was blessed to spend my life in the company of this love and in the company of such an extraordinary woman, my grandmother


~ RIP ~ Mabel Fern Amand "Grandma" ~ 1925-2010 ~
Obituary Link 

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother! I know she was very special to you and you will miss her greatly. I wish I could have been there for you today, but I was holding you and your family close in prayer. Love you lots.